Help for Visitors & Community Borrowers

Visiting the Libraries

Our libraries are open to the public with valid, government or school-issued photo identification. Visit the desk near the library entrances to check in with staff.

Please note that campus, including the libraries, is closed to the public after 9 p.m.

Everyone is welcome to use our collections while in the library building, with the exception of certain electronic resources licensed only for UNM users. 

We have limited community computers for visitors to use, but if you bring your own device, UNM has a guest wifi network available that will allow you to access most of our online resources.

Community Borrower Card

With a community borrower card, which you can apply for online, you can borrow up to 15 items at a time, for up to 30 days. See our circulation policies for more details. The card has a $35 annual fee. Students and affiliates of certain other organizations are eligible to have the fee waived. See our Community Borrowers Policy for more information. Please note that a community borrowers card does not provide access to online resources such as databases or ebooks.

Special Events & Exhibits

The Libraries regularly have lectures, classes and other events. Exhibit spaces are also located in the Waters and Herzstein rooms of Zimmerman Library.  Find more information about our current events & exhibits.  In addition, visitors may want to visit Zimmerman Library's historic West Wing.

Most of our online events and exhibits are open to the public. Visit our complete schedule of events and instructions on how to join.

Upcoming events include:

Services for Visiting Scholars

Visiting researchers with questions about accessing our collections and resources are encouraged to contact the subject librarian for that area or use the Ask a Librarian service.

Visiting researchers who would like to borrow items from the University Libraries collections are advised to review Community Borrowers services, including reciprocal agreements with other institutions: Community Borrowers Policy.

Visiting researchers who wish to use electronic resources are advised to bring a laptop, which library staff can help them configure for use on UNM’s campus wireless network, and which can be used in any area of the libraries. Please ask at any library Service Desk for additional information.

If visiting researchers do not have a laptop, guest desktop computers are available at all central campus libraries. These computers offer a 1 hour period of access within a 24-hour period. For more information, please see: Library Computer Use Policy

If visiting researchers are working with a UNM department or center on an in-depth project or for a prolonged period, the Libraries advise working with staff in the host department or center to explore other affiliate programs and services offered by the University.

Visiting researchers (faculty, staff, and graduate students) with current status at a New Mexico Coalition of Academic Libraries (NMCAL) institution may use the NMCAL Passport service as well as UNM’s NMCAL Passport Plus service. All NMCAL Passport require verification of status with the home NMCAL institution. The Passport Plus program also requires a photo ID.

Services for visiting researchers do not include the following: Interlibrary loan/Library Express; reserved carrel, group study, or locker spaces; off-campus access to electronic resources; extended hour access to library facilities; loan of laptops or other devices; UNM email accounts.