The first library is in a single room in Hodgin Hall. From 1926 to 1936 the library occupies what is now known as the Art Annex.
More photos >>
The first library building is drastically over full. Architect John Gaw Meem designs the new library which opens on April 1 1938 and has remained in continuous use since that day.
Librarian Wilma Loy Shelton actively collects materials on the Southwest and Latin America creating the basis for our world class Latin American collections.
Library collections continue to grow along with the student population. By the end of the decade the library building is no longer adequate for the needs of the University.
Zimmerman Library is named for late president James F. Zimmerman. The first major addition is completed and fine arts and business materials are moved into separate libraries.
The process of automating the library is begun with the introduction of an automatic bookkeeping and acquisition system and a second expansion to the library is completed.
The library acquires its one-millionth volume and science and engineering materials are moved to a new library in the engineering complex.
Construction of an underground addition is completed and the Center for Southwest Research and Special Collections is created.
A fire in the basement in April 2006 destroys a large part of the periodical collections. Although the building reopens in the fall, it takes two years for all the remodeling work to be completed.
Zimmerman Library remains a busy center for study and collaboration attracting 1.5 million visits a year and is regularly voted the most popular place to study in Daily Lobo surveys.
© The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, (505) 277-0111
New Mexico's Flagship University